Sunday, March 16, 2008

View From The Porch

Grab your rocking chair and join me on my porch for a little R&B....That stands for Rocking and Birdwatching! haha After all...my birds are both musical and entertaining...which can be very relaxing after a stressful day at work!!!


If you take notice of the Red-bellied Woodpecker in the picture below, you'll notice the red patch of hair on his belly that he derives his name from. You'll see the difference between him and my Red-headed Woodpecker when it arrives sometime later this Spring.



My Red-bellies use to stay all year round but now when the Red-headed Woodpeckers come they disappear. The Redheads chase them away...guess it's true what they say about Redheads being temperamental! haha

The Chickadees stay all year round...but sadly...my little yellow Warblers will be migrating soon.


This brassy little fellow better leave my Bluebirds alone!!! I caught him chasing my Blue birds away from the Bluebird house and trying to build a nest there for his mate. Go find another house buddy!!!!

This darling little bird is a Brown-headed Nuthatch and is no bigger than your thumb.


The Carolina Wrens are entertaining...but are such bossy little birds...meet Mr. and Mrs. Wren.


The Tufted Titmouse is also a year round resident...so I will enjoy his antics all year.




Thanks for coming over to sit a spell with me and enjoying the view from my porch...be sure and drop in again sometime!

8 comments:

Christy said...

Wow, what an awesome blog! Thanks for commenting over on my wee little nature blurb. I am in Iredell County myself...I think Cumberland County is in the sand hills? My NC geography could be better I know. :)

Your bird photos are superb. I wish I could get the hang of my camera like that. I noticed the horses in your slide show. Do you ride? I used to and this time of year always gets me a little saddle crazy thinking about all the wonderful weather and great places to ride. Anyways....sorry for rambling! God bless.
~Christy

Mary said...

Wow! What wonderful pictures! I'm glad I saw your comoment on Bruce's site. That cocky little wren shot was adorable! I've never seen that brown-headed nuthatch...neat! All of the pictures were wonderful!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Hi Jan, I came to your blog from Aunt B's Backyard. What a great blog you have! I used to live in SC and I really miss the south. We've been talking about moving back to Charleston, SC or else to the mountains of NC. Still no decision, but seeing your pictures has made me want to move time along and just get there! Your pictures are beautiful. Love the little Carolina Wrens. I have one that comes to my feeder here in Connecticut.

jalynn01 said...

all your shots are so nice, but I especially like the little brown headed nuthatch. I have never seen one. They are very small I take it. The pine sprigs add a nice touch of color. Great Job Jan.

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Jan, you're a hoot!! You really are doing well with that camera. All of your shots are incredible!
I would sacrifice the red-belly for a red-head anyday!! And that little Brown-headed nuthatch is so sweet. I can't believe it's so small. 'Rock-on' Miss Jan!

Jessica said...

Thanks for taking me on a nice little R&B. I loved it and I love your photos.

brucesc said...

What a fun day! Your pictures are terrific--what camera do you use? I would think your pine warbler would stay all summer--ours do. Keep on rockin'!!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.