Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Harbinger of Spring

The harbinger of spring sings a joyous song to announce this special season...





a season of new birth bursting from the earth.


Announcing it's arrival with leaves unfurled and flowers blooming everywhere.


Such a common bird...hearlding the arrival of a time of uncommon beauty when the earth seems to come back to life!



Our Robin Red-breast...while a common sight...is always welcome.




Sometimes I think we take our spring messenger for granted.




Our Robin really is an attractive bird...but they are so readily seen...


we have a tendency to ignore them in favor of the elusive birds that are not sighted as often.


This spring let's celebrate our colorful breasted messenger of spring. To every thing there is a season...and this one belongs to our beloved Robin!

7 comments:

Nick S said...

Lovely Robin ! My one was taken o na very cloudy day . Looks like you have some gorgeous weather over there, and Spring has well and truly sprung as I see the leaves are already coming on your trees :-)

Stacey Olson said...

What a wonderful thing you did highlighting these often overlooked beauties. thanks for sharing.

jalynn01 said...

Oh! What lovely shots of the fat orange breasted Robin. The last picture highlights the eye that is circled in white. I love to watch them in the yard 'listening' for worms!! Nice tribute to our ever so Common Robin!

The Birdlady said...

Lovely series - The last one is especially wonderful, showing the detail of the white edged feathers that isn't very visible when they are flying around.
BTW, I love your turning album.

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Very, very nice, Jan!!
They are the greatest bird to listen to in the evening and wake up to in the morning. Always a pleasant song they sing.
Incredible last shot!!!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Beautiful! I love your pictures. They are such pretty birds and I love their song, too. I had one in my backyard today, grabbed the camera and *poof*! It flew! ;-)

Mel said...

I've never seen a Robin (only on pics)
There are no Robin's around my neighbourhood :(
Greetings from Peru!